In this blog, you will learn about the Latent Defect In Software Testing with the help of Examples. While ensuring the functionality and quality of the product, testers run into various issues. Some are simple to spot, while others are hidden or covered up in the development and require further investigation to be found. One of these odd issues is disguised among the others until it causes a barrier in the ongoing process. Latent Defects are a regular occurrence in software testing and are known as this sort of fault. Let’s examine what a hidden flaw means and how it affects software before and after delivery.
What is a Latent Defect in Software Testing?
Latent Defects, which are among the uncommon issues discovered during software testing, are errors that haven’t yet happened but may result in failure if an accurate set of requirements isn’t met. It is a systematic problem that exists throughout the whole manufacturing process of the software and even gets past the initial testing, including extended use and pre-production testing.
Latent Defects, which have been present in the system for a while, are discovered by users in a real-world setting when a certain activity is carried out in the absence of typical circumstances or under an odd or uncommon set of circumstances.
Example of a Latent Defect
Except for leap years, February has 28 days. The algorithm could not be able to account for the leap year or an extra day in February, which leads to a latent defect.
Latent Defect Indicators
As previously mentioned, there are several kinds of software defects, so it is essential for the team to separate latent defects from other defects. Because they can distinguish between a typical defect and a latent one, the following signals should be watched out for by testers when they test the software. They include:
- After the product has been produced, remains.
- Passes every test that is given.
- In leading to the situation, it happens.
- It is really challenging to recognise.
- User identification usually occurs after the product has been released.
How to Find & Fix Latent Defects?
It can be done through:
- After the product is launched, regular inspection by the tester or the user might assist find and fix these defects.
- Exhaustive Testing: Even if “exhaustive testing” is impossible, testers must make sure that every scenario is tested at least once in order to lower the probabilities of hidden latent defects.
Major Points of Latent Defects:
- Future problems could be severe if this is disregarded.
- It may result in inaccurate reporting and data corruption.
- One or more versions might be present in the system.
- One of the three odd defects discovered during testing is this one:
- Latent Testing.
- Masked Testing.
- Defect Cascading.
Masked Defect vs Latent Defect:
Latent defects are among the most significant issues that are present in the software and can affect how well it functions over time. In order to ensure that they are found and fixed before the product is given to the end user, the testing team must take all necessary steps.
THANKS FOR YOUR PRECIOUS TIME
EPEDAGOGUE GLOBAL PVT LTD
PRAKASH CHAND THAPLIYAL